Our next Swim Session Starts June 28. Check back here for our schedule.
Registration: Members – Tues June 22 @ 2:30pm | Non-members – Thurs June 24 @ 2:30pm
What’s the Same?
- Our fabulous, professional instructors are returning and have adapted the Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Curriculum to best support students in learning the life-saving skill of swimming.
- Our cozy, warm-water pool!
- Financial assistance is available. We believe that every child should have the opportunity to learn to swim, and scholarships are available for families needing a little help at this time. Contact NECC’s Youth Coordinator at email@example.com for more information.
All Swim Lessons will closely adhere to local health and safety guidelines related to COVID-19, which will result in the following changes:
- The number of swimmers in each class and the total number of swimmers in the pool will be strictly limited (see class descriptions for details).
- Masks will be required for all persons entering the facility; swimmers must leave their mask on until their instructor calls them for class.
- Locker room and changing areas are closed. To comply with current regulations, swimmers will come to class in their swimsuit, dry off in the pool area immediately after their lesson, and promptly leave the facility.
- Three “types” of lessons are offered, and they correspond to the following Red Cross Levels:
- SWIMMING WITH SUPPORT – These lessons are best for Pre-Level 1, Pre-Level 2, Level 1 and Level 2. Swimmers in Pre-Level 3 and Level 3 who are NOT yet able to confidently and repeatedly swim the width of the pool should register in this Level. All Classes in this level require the swimmer to be accompanied in the water by a trusted caregiver 13 years or older. (Max 3 students and their caregiver).
- INDEPENDENT SWIMMER – These lessons are for Pre-Level 3, Level 3, and Level 4 students who can confidently and repeatedly swim the width of the pool without any assistance (either physical help or verbal encouragement). (Max 3 students when sharing the pool with one other class; Max 6 students when only class in the pool).
- ADVANCED SWIMMER – These lessons are best for Level 5, Level 6, and Swim Club participants. You are welcome to sign up swimmers for multiple lessons a week. (Max 6 students; this will be the only lesson in the pool).
- Instructors will NOT be in the water with students and will be teaching class from the deck.
- If you are unsure of the appropriate level, we strongly encourage you to enroll your child in the “lower” level – your child will develop confidence and because of the small class size, your child will have opportunities comfortably transition to the next level.
- Swimmers must arrive no earlier than 5 minutes before their class begins, and they must be ready to enter the water at their designated class time. In this way, we can maximize the available time to offer swim lessons while maintaining physical distancing with other lessons. Lessons are offset by 10 minutes, so there is only one lesson entering or exiting the pool at a time.
- Only swimmers may remain in the pool area during lessons. All other persons (parents/guardians/siblings/friends) must wait outside the facility and meet their swimmer at the end of class. At this time, the lobby is not available as a space to wait during your child’s lesson.
We have transitioned to a new registration system. If you have not yet created a password in that system, you will need to do so before registering. We recommend you do this before registration opens. Click here to learn how to connect to your account.
Financial Assistance is available for all of our programming through NECC’s Community Fund. We understand that families may be experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 or other circumstances. If your family needs financial help to ensure your child can participate in our offerings, please email our Youth Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Youth Lessons, April 26 – June 12
7 week session – Members: $84 | Non-Members: $105
Details regarding skills relevant to Red Cross Levels can be found at the bottom of the page. If you have any questions, please call the NECC Front Desk at 503-284-3377.
SWIMMING WITH SUPPORT
**ALL STUDENTS MUST HAVE A CAREGIVER, AGE 13+, ACCOMPANY THEM IN THE WATER DURING “SWIMMING WITH SUPPORT” CLASSES.
These lessons are best for Pre-Level 1, Pre-Level 2, Level 1, and Level 2, and for Pre-Level 3 and Level 3 students who still need any assistance or support in the water. This class is perfect for swimmers who are not yet able to confidently and repeatedly swim the width of the pool. (Max 3 students and their caregiver).
2:05-2:30, Ashley-Pre1 & 2/Lvl 1
2:05-2:30, Ashley-Pre2/Lvls 1&2
2:45-3:10, Ashley-Pre1 & 2/Lvl 1
9-9:25, Alex-Ages 3-5 with Parent
**TO SUPPORT SWIMMERS’ SUCCESS, ALL STUDENTS MUST BE ABLE TO CONFIDENTLY AND REPEATEDLY SWIM THE WIDTH OF THE POOL WITHOUT ASSISTANCE OR COACHING TO ENROLL IN THIS LEVEL.
Swimmers who previously enrolled in Pre-Level 3 or Level 3 classes should carefully consider whether this is the right fit at this time. Pre-Level 3 and Level 3 swimmers who can confidently and repeatedly swim the width of the pool, and Level 4 and above may enroll in “Swimming Independently” lessons. (Max 3 swimmers when sharing with one other class; Max 6 swimmers when the only class in the pool).
1:45-2:10, Otter – Lvls 3+/4
2:25-2:50, Otter – Lvls 3+/4
10:10-10:35, Otter – Lvls 3+/4
Swimmers in Level 5, Level 6, or Swim Club should enroll in “Advanced Swimming”. Class will utilize all three lanes of the pool. (Max 6 swimmers). Because of the requirements due to COVID-19, available pool time is severely limited. Max 6 swimmers/class.
4:55-5:20, Marlon-Lvl 5+
12:35-1:00, Marlon-Lvl 5+
4:55-5:20, Marlon-Lvl 5+
11:25-11:50, Otter-Lvl 5+
Private and Semi-Private Swim Lessons
Red Cross Descriptions:
Preschool Swim Lessons – Ages 3-5 years – Emphasizes water safety, survival, and foundational swimming concepts.
Pre-Level 1: Helps children feel comfortable and safely enjoy the water. No previous swimming experience necessary.
Pre-Level 2: Gives swimmers success with fundamental skills like floating and basic locomotion using combined arm and leg motions. Swimmers registering for Pre-Level 2 must be able to enter and exit the pool independently, comfortably put their face in the water and blow bubbles, glide on their front, and float on their back (with minimal assistance).
Pre-Level 3: Swimmers practice in deeper water combining arms and legs to improve coordination. Swimmers registering for Pre-Level 3 must be able to glide on their front and back for at least 3 body lengths and float on their back for 15 seconds (without assistance).
Youth Swim Lessons – Ages 6-17 (See Adult/Teen for best fit for ages 13+)
Level 1: Helps children feel comfortable and safely enjoy the water. No previous swimming experience necessary. See Ages 9+ Learn to Swim offerings below for older children.
Swim Lessons: Ages 9+ Learn to Swim: Class is geared towards youth ages 9-12 who are not yet independent swimmers. The class will focus on building confidence in the water and improve swimming competence and basic water safety in a fun and active environment specifically for older beginning swimmers.
Level 2: Swimmers learn to perform floats, bobs, front and back glides, and tread water. Swimmers registering for Level 2 must be able to enter and exit the pool independently, comfortably put their face in the water and blow bubbles, glide on their front, and float on their back for 5 seconds.
Level 3: Swimmers improve front crawl, floating and treading, learn elementary backstroke, breaststroke kick, and the principles of diving. Swimmers registering for Level 3 must be able to perform skills in deeper water, by pushing off the bottom and treading or floating for 15 seconds, and then swimming on their front and back for 5 body lengths.
Level 4: Swimmers increase proficiency and endurance on skills learned in Level 3 and gain skills in breaststroke, butterfly and diving. Swimmers registering for Level 4 must be able to jump into deep water, tread or float for 1 minute, and swim front crawl using side breathing and/or elementary backstroke for 25 yards.
Level 5: Swimmers increase proficiency and endurance on skills learned in Level 4, front and back flip turns, and gain proficiency in diving. Level 5 swimmers may participate in Swim Club. Swimmers registering for Level 5 must be able to perform headfirst dives, swim front crawl and elementary backstroke for 25 yards, back crawl and breaststroke for 15 yards, and swim 3-5 body lengths underwater.
Parent/Child Lessons – Ages 6 months-3 years
Introduces age-appropriate swimming skills with songs & games to create a fun experience in the water. Builds basic water safety skills for both parents and children. Helps infants and young children become comfortable in the water. Class not currently offered.
Adult/Teen Group Lessons
No swimming prerequisite. Have you wanted to learn to swim or get a reminder of how to do the strokes? Sign up for this group class where you receive individual attention. Class not currently offered.
7 week session – Members: $— | Non-Members: $—
We are not offering Adult group lessons during the Spring 2021 swim session, however adults swimmers are welcome to sign up for private/semi-private swim lessons.