Multnomah County will move back to the high risk phase of Covid-19 restrictions on Friday, May 7th. The procedures listed below will be kept in place until the county moves to the high risk phase. Starting Saturday, May 8th our lap swim schedule will remain the same but swimmers will no longer need to maintain 25ft of distance.
We are excited to welcome you back to the pool for lap swim! In our efforts to support the health and well-being of participants and our staff, and to comply with the rigorous COVID-19 regulations specifically applicable to pool activities, we have adopted the following protocols. Please read them carefully before you come to swim.
Currently, Lap Swim required Advance Registration and is only open to those over the age of 13 with an active NECC Membership. To check on the status of your membership, take your membership off hold, or purchase a membership, contact our Front Desk at email@example.com
Covid-19 Safety Protocols
- Advance registration for lap swim is required. Follow the instructions below to sign up for swim times online through a system called MindBody.
- The maximum number of lap swimmers is currently one per lane. The NECC may adjust the maximum number of lap swimmers, and at least one week in advance of the effective date will announce any changes on this page.
- Under Oregon law, the NECC is not required to have a Lifeguard on duty during lap swim; to comply with COVID-19 guidelines for pools, the NECC is required to have a dedicated distance-monitoring attendant on deck during lap swim, regardless of the number of swimmers. Please note that during scheduled lap swim, no lifeguard will be on duty; instead, the NECC will employ a distance-monitoring attendant on deck at all times. (You will be recognized most of these attendants as NECC staff members who previously acted and are certified as Lifeguards).
- Lap swim participants must follow the instructions of the physical-distancing attendant or, if applicable, a Lifeguard.
- Locker Rooms are not available for showering or changing at this time. It will be necessary to come to the pool dressed to swim and to leave the facility after toweling off in the pool area. To support appropriate water quality, please refrain from wearing lotion. Bathrooms will be available for use, but changing in them is not permitted.
- Kickboards will be available; participants must provide any other equipment they wish to use.
- Participants must strictly adhere to scheduled times in order to maximize swim time and to ensure appropriate physical distancing guidelines are met.
- Please plan to arrive at the facility 5-10 minutes before your scheduled swim time. You will be able to enter the bleacher area exactly 5 minutes before your swim time starts, and you will have 5 minutes to get undressed and shower before entering the pool. Once your swim time has ended you will have only 5 minutes to get dressed and exit the bleacher area.
- If you arrive late you may have to wait for other swimmers to leave before entering, and will have less time to swim. Check in with the front desk and and enter the pool area through the lobby door. Please do not gather in the lobby.
- Place your items in your assigned location, and wait in that location with your mask on until directed by the Attendant to enter the pool.
- Maintain 25’ between you and other participants and 6′ between you and our staff, take a rinsing shower at the on-deck shower. Immediately enter your assigned lane at the assigned location. If you need assistance in entering the pool (such as access to the ladder or stairs), talk with the attendant before leaving your assigned area. You may place water bottles, goggles, or any of your personal swim equipment at that location. If you need to stop during your swim session, you should stop at the end at which you entered the pool.
- The attendant will give swimmers a 5-minute warning before the end of lap swim. At the conclusion of lap swim, promptly exit the pool and walk clockwise around to the bleacher area; maintain at least 25’ of distance, and wait until the area is cleared before retrieving your items.
- You may towel off and leave through the lobby door.
We understand that the exacting nature of these requirements may feel very restrictive. We have adopted these processes to best support the health and safety of participants and our staff, and to meet the numerous local health guidelines for pool operations. We will continue to evaluate our aquatics programs to make any adjustments we deem appropriate.