Swim Club Dry-Land Workout
Hello Swimmers and Parents:
I miss all of your faces. Even though we can’t meet in the NECC pool, I wanted to provide swimmers (and family members) with some exercises that will help them stay in shape until we return.
The goal of any dryland program for swimmers is to become stronger and faster in the water with less effort.
Please feel free to modify the exercises to make them easier. If you don’t understand what an exercise is, feel free to look it up online. Focus on core stability and muscle engagement first. If it hurts, stop! Be consistent. Have fun!
Dynamic Warm-up/Stretch (ALWAYS BEFORE WORKING-OUT!)
- Arm Circles: Small Forward, Small Reverse, Medium Forward, Medium Reverse, Large Forward, Large Reverse.
- Swinging Arms: Target Triceps and open chest.
- Legs: Butt kicks & swinging legs – target hamstrings.
- Core: Plank, T-Rotation, alternating arm/leg raises.
Easier Workout (2x – 5x Rounds)
- 10x BURPEES
- 10x ALTERNATING JUMP LUNGE
- 10x LEG LIFTS
- 10x PLANK PROGRESSION
Perform this routine 2x – 5x with 30-60s rest between each round.
Harder Workout (2x – 5x Rounds)
- 10x PUSHUPS: Regular, Wide or Diamond (if you want a challenge)
- 10x DONKEY KICKS
- 10x SIT TO STAND JUMPS
- 10x FLUTTER KICK LEG LIFTS
Perform this routine 5x with 30-60s rest between each round. This routine will be very taxing on your body in a short period of time so if you’re just getting started, it’s best to start with less repetitions or complete only 2-3 rounds rather than 5 rounds.
I hope this helps while we are all stuck in the house! Please be Safe and stay Healthy, and I hope to see you in the pool before too long…